Monday 18 May 2020

Letter to Chair and Director of education regarding position of island schools in national league tables

Hi All
Hope you and your families are keeping safe during this awful pandemic. 

In common with everyone else, I am finding it strange and disconcerting that all our meetings are being conducted virtually but at least it seems to be working reasonably well and am looking forward to the time when we can all get together again for – at least – some of our meetings. We may look at continuing to conduct some of our Council business meetings through conference calls as a means of reducing travel implications – particularly important for the Harris and Southern Isles Councillors.  This would seem to benefit all concerned.  


Returning to Council business, I would like to draw your attention to the latest figures published by “ The Times “ and “ the Sun “ (https://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/news/scottish-news/5565713/scotland-schools-best-worst-league-table/ ) of 06 May 2020 looking at league tables based on the percentage of pupils within Scottish schools achieving 5 Highers.
Although I am no great fan of league tables, Parent Councils do tend to look to them as a guide as to how the school is doing at the upper end of secondary. Traditionally, Sir E Scott School and the Nicolson Institute have been consistently high and have always punched above their weight academically. I await the reaction of the School Council which will surely follow.
Whilst I fully appreciate the fact that the bar is set quite high at 5 Highers coupled with the fact that in small schools small variations can result in dramatic changes in their league position, I am a bit shocked at just how low Sir E Scott School ( and Castlebay Secondary ) are placed.
In my 23 years of service at SES, I never recall SES being in such a low position.  The high academic bar of this annual snapshot survey is normally counterbalanced by the fact that our pupils within the Western Isles have a much greater ethos and attitude towards the importance of education in their life.


I am bound to say that the positions of Sgoil Lionacleit and especially the Nicolson Institute are significantly lower than I would have expected and have been in the past - especially given the fact that they cannot use " freak numbers "as a mitigating circumstance. My historical memory is that the Nicolson Institute was always much much higher in Scottish league tables than this.
There are 345 Secondary Schools in Scotland and the position of our 4 secondary schools within the Western Isles based on the above criteria is as follows :-


Nicolson Institute  -  142
Sgoil Lionacleit  -  223
Sire E Scott School  -  343
Castlebay Secondary  -  344


In the eleven schools I have taught in during my career – here and on the mainland : permanent and supply : primary as well as secondary : home and overseas, I have to say that the quality of Teaching Staff as well as the calibre of Pupil within the Western Isles have always been of the highest standard I have encountered – certainly in my 42 years of service ; so I am a little bit puzzled as to why we are so far down the list of academic achievement.
I look forward to your comments, reaction and ameliorative action to the above figures 


Best Regards & keep safe
Cllr John G